Sunday, September 13, 2015

READING DIARY B: SITA SINGS THE BLUES


I watched the second half of the film called “Sita Sings The Blues” this week. I think in this version of the Ramayana, the part after Rama beats Ravana is emphasized more. This was a good review of the Ramayana. I realized that after reading this part, I did not realize how tragic Sita’s case was. It was sad to see that she never received a happy ending. I do not really understand the modern cartoon part of this movie. I am guessing that is was just a more modern example of the whole story, but with a lot of parts missing. In the end the wife uses the Ramayana to help her get through her tough time with her man. All together I really enjoyed the style of this story. It had so many different ways of telling the story. This reminds me of the public domain edition of the Ramayana because the public domain version of the Ramayana told the story in poem and with regular writing. Maybe I will apply these different aspects to the stories that I write in this class. I came up with a couple of ideas to rewrite this story. In this version, Vibshishana’s role was not emphasized. The new ruler of Lanka was not clearly established. What if Rama gave Sita the kingdom of Lanka and just had a long distance relationship instead of banishing her to the forest. Another idea that I had was what if Sita had Ravana’s offspring? These are a couple ideas that I could use.

This is a picture of one of the different ways the story was told in this movie. The cartoon version of the Ramayana.

No comments:

Post a Comment