Wednesday, September 9, 2015

Reading Diary A Week 3

Hanuman’s Leap:
In my storytelling project I talked about how the Rakshashis received boones that gave them special powers or handicaps.  It is interesting to see how other creatures also receive these special boones. Hanuman has amazing powers and is like the Superman of this epic. I enjoyed reading about him because I have heard his name prior to this class.

The Burning of Lanka:
I like how Hanuman tricks Ravana into capturing him and then burns the city. It is a miscalculation that I think will affect Ravana later when he has his big battle with Rama. It is cool how Sita simply prays for Hanuman and he receives a cooled tail to protect him from the fire. It reminds me of a series called Percy Jackson and The Olympians. Here demigods would pray to their fathers and mothers who were Greek Gods and receive gifts similar to this one.

Vibhishana:

In this part of the reading Ravana is talking to his court of advisors to decide what to do. The two decisions are to wage war against Rama and his troops or return Sita as a peace offering. One of Ravana’s relatives, Vibhishana, speaks against the majority of the court of advisors. Ravana does not like this and bans him from the kingdom. He then tells him to go fight for Rama. I thought it was odd and a really rash decision to banish him for having an opposing view. I wonder if he will have a pivotal role in the battle. This part of the story gives some ideas for alternate endings or twists to the story. 
Here is a picture of Vibhishana leaving the court.

No comments:

Post a Comment