Tuesday, September 1, 2015

Reading Diary B

Rama and Bharata:
This is one of my favorite section of part B reading for this week. I like how a major them of this story is being a moral person. Even though Bharata can take over the kingdom, he chooses to seek out his brother so that he can take his rightful place. Even after being invited to come back to the kingdom, Rama says that he gave his word to his father and he will complete what he promised to do. This story included a powerful quote:
“There would be no sciences if we believed only those things we behold. Inferential proof must be permitted. Is a woman to consider herself a widow when her husband is out of sight?”

Viradha:
Rama and his brother Lakshmana do battle with a demon. I like how a lot of these villians have special conditions or curses put on them. For example Viradha cannot be killed by a weapon. It is also interesting how this story has a commonality with a lot of plots in our current time such as fairytales. There is always a prince who has to take on some kind of quest to save his girl.

Battle with Khara:
 I really enjoy reading this book because of the extensive detail that is put into it. I have a clear picture of what is going on at all times. You can picture the mood before the war in this quote. It is like the calm before the storm.  
“Jackals howled and birds screamed at dawn; the sky was blood-red, and Rahu endeavored to swallow the sun and caused an awesome eclipse: a headless horror appeared in mid air.”
Also I like how Rama says for his brother and Sita to stay back. It is a typical quality of a hero to only out himself at risk.

Jatayu and Ravana:
I liked this story because it reminded me of Hansel and Gretel. Sita is leaving traces so that Rama can find her. I wonder if the Ravana is the main antagonist in this book. Here is a picture of Sita giving the monkeys her jewelry. I predict that Hanuman will get involved in this conflict now.




No comments:

Post a Comment